4.29.2007

Grilled Eggplant Salad


I saw this recipe on Everyday Italian with Giada de Laurentis a while back and when I was thinking of something different to add to the menu for John's birthday party, this came to mind. John's party consisted of his favorite party foods (cocktail meatballs, queso and chips, pork skewers, pigeon peas & rice, pizza, caesar salad) but eggplant is definitely not one of them. This dish was more for me and other veggie eaters.
.
I substituted the goat cheese with blue cheese, but pretty much stuck to the recipe. I didn't measure all the toppings, as it didn't seem all that important to be exact. I got the Japanese eggplant at the Korean Market in Wheaton (on Georgia Ave near Randolph Rd). The recipe says to cut the eggplant into 1 inch slices, but I thought that was a little thick. Mine ended up about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick, cut on the bias so there were some thick and thin bits.
.
GRILLED EGGPLANT SALAD
.
3 T olive oil
7 Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch slices
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
3 ozs goat cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup basil, thinly sliced
2 T chopped mint
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
.
Place grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat gas grill or charcoal grill. Drizzle olive oil over eggplant slices and toss to coat. Grill eggplant until tender and grill marks appear, about 3 minutes per side.
.
Place eggplant side by side on a serving platter. Sprinkle with pine nuts, goat cheese, basil and mint. Drizzle eith extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?