8.17.2006

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

Although I'd love to make "real" enchiladas from scratch someday, when I get home after my hour commute, I'm not usually in the mood to cook anything too involved by 5:30 PM. On top of that, Johnny is usually hungry by 6:00, as he takes "lunch" anywhere between 10:30 and 11:00, if he happens to take lunch. So, I do what I can to make my hubby happy.


All the ingredients for these (except for the cucumber we got from MIL's neighbor's garden) were pre-cooked or jarred. We used pre-cooked fajita style chicken, flour tortillas, shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese blend, pickled jalapenos and grocery store brand enchilada sauce. For some reason, we can't seem to find Old El Paso sauce at the Safeway anymore. Weird!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop chicken (I think it was a 12 oz package?) and about 10 slices or so of the jalapenos and mixed it with some cheese and a bit of the enchilada sauce. Pour some sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon some of the chicken mixture onto a flour tortilla (about 3 tablespoons or as much as desired) and roll up. Be careful not to overfill and place in baking dish. Repeat filling and rolling tortillas. Top naked enchiladas with sauce, sprinkle liberally with cheese and top with sliced jalapenos, if desired. Bake about 30 minutes to heat through (all ingredients are cooked already). Serve hot with an ice cold margarita!

I found the store brand enchilada sauce to be a bit salty... or it could have been the pre-cooked chicken. I cut that with a couple squeezes of lime on my enchilada. The cucumber was a nice cooling chaser to the spicy kick of the jalapenos. The enchiladas stuck to the baking dish... I probably should have greased it a little or put more sauce on the bottom.

The penguins seemed to like it. Look how happy they are.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?