9.27.2006
Mi Rancho
S & V decided on Mi Rancho, an oldie but a goodie. I've only been to Mi Rancho a few times in the past 10 years or so, but the gang has been going for many years. Sadly, I think we've been ignoring this little gem in favor of the splashy new Silver Spring chain restaurants that have revitalized downtown.
One of the things I like best about Mi Rancho is they make their own flour tortillas. Granted, it's done by a machine and not hand rolled like in Old Town San Diego, but nothing beats a warm and chewy freshly cooked flour tortilla.
The few times I've eaten at Mi Rancho, I ordered the Carne Asada. This time was no different. It's flank steak, I believe. Simply delicious.

There are grilled onions under the steak and it's served with pico de gallo, guacamole, beans, rice and tortillas for $13.95. The meat was tender and flavorful, not overpowering with herbs, spices or salt. The rice and beans were OK. I think I prefer black beans or refried. And you know I love rice, but nothing exciting in this version.
I also ordered the Ceviche as an appetizer and shared it with William. No picture, 'cuz we were starving and dove into it before realizing how bad of a food blogger I am. The Ceviche was made with shrimp, scallops and fish (halibut?) and also had tomato, red onion, boiled potato, celery and cilantro served on shredded lettuce. It was very limey. But fresh tasting. I liked the tanginess, although a ceviche connoisseur would probably say it lacked depth. I probably would have liked a bit of minced jalapeno in it too, just 'cuz.
John ordered the Chicken Quesadilla, accompanied by pico de gallo, guac, sour cream and a few pickled jalapenos. John likes his quesadillas unadulterated. No fancy fusion stuff, like pesto, on his quesadillas, like they serve at Rock Bottom. This was simply cheese and chicken grilled in flour tortilla. He only ate the jalapenos and put on some salsa.
Mi Rancho
8701 Ramsey Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 588-4872
