9.18.2006
Rams Head Tavern - Savage Mill
John and I went out for brunch yesterday and headed up to Rams Head Tavern at Savage Mill. It was a really glorious day for sitting outside on their patio. They had a little jazz trio playing and we picked out a table for two overlooking the stairs to the lower level. We were going to select a table with an umbrella, but of the ones remaining, decided to leave those for larger parties (nice, aren't we?). Although the weather was wonderful, occasionally, a breeze of air with a hint of dumpster would waft by us. A few bees were interested in my meal, but they didn't bother us too much.
We'd only been to Rams Head a few times for dinner. We actually had one of our first dates there. I liked their regular menu, but was happy to see they had such a great brunch selection with sandwich items for John too (he's not much on eggs).
I really wanted to order something with crab in it (they had a number of dishes incorporating crab) but decided to start with something fairly simple for this visit. I ordered the Eiffel Egg Sandwich (bacon and egg, hold the cheese, on a croissant), which was served with "brunch spuds" and melon.

The potatoes were cut homestyle (not any particular shape), fried crispy and brown on the outside and were deliciously tender inside. I think they were simply seasoned with salt and parsley. The egg sandwich was fairly generic with two thin strips of bacon. I wish the bacon had been more hearty -- maybe a thicker cut of maple or applewood bacon.
John ordered a Mac Melt (grilled chicken breast with cheese and bacon sandwich) served with fries. Again, nothing remarkable about this sandwich, from the looks of it. I like that they grilled the bun and they served the lettuce, tomato and pickle on the side, the way John likes it. Actually, he would probably prefer they just keep it in the kitchen, but the tomato was pretty yummy in my egg sandwich.

We were chatting about why we don't come up here more often for dinner or brunch. It's maybe a 10-15 minute drive from our house and the bar on the lower level (Rathskeller) has pretty good eats too. They're actually serving the Tavern Menu now.
Rams Head Tavern (at Savage Mill)
8600 Foundry Street
Savage, MD 20763
(301) 604 - 3454
We'd only been to Rams Head a few times for dinner. We actually had one of our first dates there. I liked their regular menu, but was happy to see they had such a great brunch selection with sandwich items for John too (he's not much on eggs).
I really wanted to order something with crab in it (they had a number of dishes incorporating crab) but decided to start with something fairly simple for this visit. I ordered the Eiffel Egg Sandwich (bacon and egg, hold the cheese, on a croissant), which was served with "brunch spuds" and melon.

The potatoes were cut homestyle (not any particular shape), fried crispy and brown on the outside and were deliciously tender inside. I think they were simply seasoned with salt and parsley. The egg sandwich was fairly generic with two thin strips of bacon. I wish the bacon had been more hearty -- maybe a thicker cut of maple or applewood bacon.
John ordered a Mac Melt (grilled chicken breast with cheese and bacon sandwich) served with fries. Again, nothing remarkable about this sandwich, from the looks of it. I like that they grilled the bun and they served the lettuce, tomato and pickle on the side, the way John likes it. Actually, he would probably prefer they just keep it in the kitchen, but the tomato was pretty yummy in my egg sandwich.

We were chatting about why we don't come up here more often for dinner or brunch. It's maybe a 10-15 minute drive from our house and the bar on the lower level (Rathskeller) has pretty good eats too. They're actually serving the Tavern Menu now.
Rams Head Tavern (at Savage Mill)
8600 Foundry Street
Savage, MD 20763
(301) 604 - 3454
