10.06.2006

Tragic Homecooked

Mexican "Lasagna"
After my last post with the yucky beans, I decided it was time to use up those tortillas we got at Mi Rancho. I browned some ground beef and planned on seasoning it with taco stuff, but apparently I didn't have any on hand. I only had a tablespoon of chili powder left, so I threw that in with some cumin, a little enchilada sauce and hot sauce.

I layered tortillas with meat, enchilada sauce, cheese and corn. Actually, only corn on half 'cuz I didn't think John wanted too much stuff on it (I was right). Then it went into the oven for about half an hour.



It turned out OK. I really do wish I had some tomato sauce or something (Rotelle canned tomatoes?) in the pantry as the enchilada sauce made the dish too salty. It could have used a bit more spiciness too. Next time, I'll go a bit lighter on the enchilada sauce. This one probably won't be in the rotation of meals very often.

John wasn't feeling well the day I made this, so he only had a bit. I had the rest of it for my next two work lunches.

Soft Tacos and Mama Noodles
Last night, I heated up what was left of the Mi Rancho tortillas (we had a lot as you can see!) and the meat I didn't put into the "lasagna". John had soft tacos for dinner. He wasn't crazy about the thickness of the non-store bought tortillas. I like the fresh ones better in terms of texture and flavor.

I made myself some Thai Mama Noodles in the Shrimp Tom Yum flavor. They're ramen noodles, but the soup packets are not your typical Oodles flavorings. It comes with powdered soup base, a separate packet of chili pepper and an oil-based flavoring. I usually skip the chili pepper. It's spicy enough without it!


To this, I added some cabbage, Thai basil and leftover fish (whiting?) from the tragic Laurel Mall food court where we went Wednesday for dinner.

Tonight is FND at my parents, which will be better than these tragic leftovers we've been eating. I'm cooking a turkey either Saturday or Sunday. Hope it's all defrosted by now!

OH! One more thing... I found a new Thai recipe source but haven't really checked it out very well yet. Looks like she has great photos though.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?