12.29.2007

CakeLove - Silver Spring

I first heard of CakeLove from dear hubby, whose co-worker said they had the best cakes ever. Who knew elevator men were cake aficionados? The proprietor is Warren Brown, a former lawyer turned baker, turned Food Network personality (his show is called “Sugar Rush”). At the time we first heard about this joint, there was only one location on U Street NW. Their second location opened up about a year ago or so in the newly revitalized Downtown Silver Spring. John and I had been meaning to buy something there since it opened, but haven’t yet.

In May, Nate threw Linda a small birthday gathering and got a CakeLove “Strawberries & Cream” cake -- fresh strawberries in 3 layers of vanilla cake and a BUTTERcream frosting. When I say buttercream frosting, I must emphasize the BUTTER part. If you don’t let it sit out to room temp before serving it, you might as well be chomping on cold sticks of butter. Although it had delicious flavor, I wasn’t overwhelmingly impressed. It was so “built up” to be this extraordinary cake place; in my mind, I expected much more.

For Christmas this year, we were given 4 CakeLove cupcakes by John’s brother and family. One vanilla with raspberry frosting, one chocolate with peanut butter frosting (dipped in chocolate), one amaretto (?) topped with almonds and one vanilla frosted. Diane wanted us to make sure we eat the cupcakes at room temp and said the shop has signs all over it advising patrons not to serve their cakes cold.

So far, we’ve only had half of the raspberry (for me) and half of the peanut butter (for John). We set them out to soften up, as CakeLove recommends. I have to say I was surprised the frosting was only about 1/8 inch thick. And that’s NOT a bad thing. I like frosting, especially buttercream, but I don’t like loads of frosting with my cake. I usually scrape it off and just eat the cakey part.

My half cupcake was quite delicious. I almost went back to the fridge for the other half, even considering eating it ice cold. Can’t wait to try the other flavors!!!

Overall, I’d give the CakeLove cupcakes a big “Yummy!”.

By the way, I’m working on a rating system... haven’t worked out the details yet as to what the ratings will mean. Stay tuned!

If you’ve got a special occasion coming up (or you want to treat yourself to a bit of decadence), give this place a try. I gotta warn ya, it’s not cheap ($3 for a cupcake, cakes anywhere from $35 to $175 and up, depending on size). There are other places (Balducci’s, Whole Foods, Cakes Plus and the Amish Market, for example) serving up cakey-goodness all over town for the same or less money. They’re not the same style as CakeLove, but just as delicious.

CakeLove - Silver Spring
935 Ellsworth Drive
Silver Spring, MD
(301) 565-2253

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?