3.15.2008

OZ Chophouse - Maple Lawn, MD

John and I have been meaning to try the OZ (they pronounce it Oh-Zee) Chophouse since dining at the joint across the street from it (Trapeze) last May. This past Christmas, we bought OZ gift cards for my brother and for my parents (from the B family) without trying it first. We were hoping OZ wouldn’t go out of business before the gift cards were cashed and that it would be yummy.

My dad has a golfing buddy whose birthday is the day after his. Dad wanted to treat the golfing buddy and some other friends to a birthday dinner. We suggested OZ, which was a wonderful idea to my frugal mom, who used this opportunity to cash in the gift card. My parents don’t get the idea of pampering themselves, do they? I guess it’s nice they want to share their boon.

John and I went to dad’s birthday dinner thinking I’d get a steak and he’d get crab cakes so we could split our meals and make our own Steak and Cake platter. After reading the menu, I almost strayed from our plan. They had a number of fish dishes that sounded so good! It’s a good reason to come back another time!

Everything on the menu is à la carte, but priced comparably to other steak places with à la carte menus. Side dishes were offered in individual or “to share” serving sizes, which you don’t often get at other places. John and I shared a tomato mozzarella salad ($8) with my mom. I ordered the bone-in rib eye steak ($30) and baked potato ($3). John ordered two crab cakes ($38) but you could just get one for half the price. Granted, $19 for a crab cake doesn’t really sound like a bargain -- there are lots of places serving crab cakes the size of my head for less money.



For dessert, they had a Crème Brulee Trio (raspberry, chocolate and vanilla) on the menu along with mixed berries and cream, flourless chocolate cake and sorbet. I *heart* Crème Brulee. But I decided to go with the Cheesecake of the Day (peanut butter) because John is a peanut butter fiend.

As we discover new eateries (Red Sky, Trapeze, OZ) so close to home, it’s nice to know there are options in the Laurel area besides the chain restaurants. We aren’t shackled to Bethesda or DC for special occasion meals and I hope to discover more little gems to share with you!

OZ Chophouse
8191 Maple Lawn Blvd
Fulton, MD 20759
301) 490-4003
http://www.ozchophouse.com/

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?